Recent research has shown that the underlying disorder in migraine, cervicogenic and tension headaches is a sensitised brainstem. 2-8 The brainstem is located at the base of the brain and controls the flow of messages between the brain, and the rest of the body, via the spinal cord. Migraines that respond to Triptans (migraine medication) are known to be related to the desensitisation of the brainstem.9 One of our friendly Brisbane physios can help you manage your migraines and headaches.
Do you have experience headaches or migraines?
↓ BOOK BELOW with one of our Brisbane Physios! ↓
DO YOU HAVE HEADACHES OR MIGRAINES?
A systematic assessment and treatment of the upper cervical spine (upper neck region ) could relieve migraine and headache symptoms via a similar mechanism i.e. desensitising the brainstem.
Treatment consists of manual therapy of the cervical spine and do not involve cervical manipulation, massage and an exercise programme. Changes to your headache symptoms need to be evident within 4-5 treatments to support ongoing treatment.
Our friendly Brisbane physios are here to help you with your migraines and headaches. Do not hesitate to contact our clinic if you have any queries, or make a booking today!
- Bartsch TGP. Anatomy and physiology of pain referral in primary and cervicogenic headache disorders. Headache Curr. 2005;2:42-48.
- Nardone R, Ausserer H, Bratti A, Covi M, Lochner P, Marth R, Florio I, Tezzon F. Trigemino-Cervical Reflex Abnormalities in Patients with Migraine and Cluster Headache. Headache 2008; 48(4):578-585
- Katsavara Z, Lehnerdt G, Duda B, Ellrich J, Diener HC, Kaube H. Sensitization of trigeminal nociception specific for migraine but not pain of sinusitis. Neurology 2002;59:1450-1453
- Katsavara Z, Giffin N, Diener HC, Kaube H. Abnormal habituation of ‘nociceptive’ blink reflex in migraine – evidence for increased excitability of trigeminal nociception. Cephalalgia 2003; 23:814-819
- Kaube H, Katasavara Z, Przywara S, Drepper J, Ellrich J, Diener HC. Acute migraine headache. Possible sensitization of neurons in the spinal trigeminal nucleus? Neurology 2002; 58:1234-1238
- Sandrini G, Cecchini AB, Milanov I, Tassorelli C, Buzzi MG, Nappi G. Electrophysiological evidence for trigeminal neuron sensitisation in patients with migraine. Neurosci Lett 2002; 317:135-138
- Milanov I, Bogdanova D. Trigemino-cervical reflex in patients with headache. Cephalalgia 2003; 23:35- 38
- Nardone R, Tezzon F. The trigemino-cervical reflex in tension-type headache. European Journal of Neurology 2003; 10(3):307-312
- Hoskin KL, Kaube H, Goadsby PJ. Sumatriptan can inhibit trigeminal afferents by an exclusively neural mechanism. Brain1996; 119:1419-28
Our Brisbane Physiotherapy Clinic, services areas including: Brisbane, Tarragindi, Mount Gravatt, Holland Park, Rocklea, Yeronga, Annerley, Camp Hill, Carindale, Coorparoo, Salisbury, Sunnybank, Greenslopes, Seven Hills, Acacia Ridge, Indooroopilly, Woolloongabba, etc.
Because of our expertise in hip conditions, dance injuries and performance, and hypermobility, we also have people visiting us from all over Queensland, Australia and even international visitors. We also have a telehealth service for remote patients.
23 Weller Rd, Tarragindi QLD 4121, Australia
📞 Ph (07) 3342 4284 Fax (07) 3342 4204
Join Our Mailing List
Sign up to our monthly PhysioTec newsletter